Planning Your Visit
You will be in caring hands during your entire visit, and we will do all we can to make you feel at ease. If at any time there is anything we can do to help, please do not hesitate to let us know. If you are having your both your evaluation and surgery on the same day (same-day surgery patient), you will be at the center almost the entire day for tests, evaluations and surgery.
If this is your first appointment with us, we encourage you to go to the Forms page and download the new patient forms. Bring the completed forms with you.
What to Bring with You
- Your New Patient forms if you are a new patient.
- Your insurance cards or other policy information and identification. If your insurance provider requires pre-approval, bring the approval form.
- A complete list of the nonprescription and prescription medications and dosages you currently are taking, including eye drops and ointments. (It may be easiest to just bring all your medication bottles.)
- The names and phone numbers of your family eye doctor and family medical doctor. Bring a consultation letter, note or Request for Consultation form if you are being referred by your family eye doctor. It is important that you bring (do not mail) this information.
- A snack or lunch (unless you are having surgery), especially if you are diabetic. Limited items are available from our vending machines.
- A book to read or something else to occupy your time.
- Your overnight bag if you are staying at a local hotel.
- A sweater or jacket since we keep the temperature in the clinic rather cool.
Same Day Surgery and LASIK Patients
If you wear contact lenses and are coming for an evaluation or surgery, it is important that you stop wearing soft lenses at least 14 days prior to your visit and gas-permeable lenses at least 21 days prior to your visit.
If you have any symptoms of an eye infection, please let us know so that it can be treated prior to your visit.
If you are having surgery, you must bring an adult who drives and can remain with you throughout the day. Patients are NOT allowed to drive after surgery. Since seating is limited, we ask that only one person accompany you. If your postoperative care will be done at Carolina Eye, you will also need for someone to drive you back to the center the next day.
RK, LASIK or Other Past Refractive Surgery
If you had previous refractive surgery like RK or LASIK done at another center, please bring copies of the eye measurements that were taken before your surgery.
DAY BEFORE SURGERY
Please do not drink any alcoholic beverage within 24 hours of your surgery. Take a laxative if you are constipated.
You will be called the day before your surgery with the time of your surgery and a review of the instructions for surgery.
DAY OF SURGERY
Shower and wash your hair. Remove fingernail polish and do not wear makeup. Wear clean and comfortable clothes. Secure long hair with a rubber band. Do not wear metal clips or bobby pins. Take your morning medications as scheduled unless otherwise instructed.
Dietary instructions for day of surgery
- Morning surgery (7 a.m.-1 p.m.) No food, gum or dairy after midnight.
- Afternoon surgery (after 1 p.m.) No dairy after midnight. May have two slices of dry toast (no butter or jelly) with water, soda or coffee (no cream or milk) before 7 a.m.